Kentucky Revised Statutes (K.R.S.)
Title L. Kentucky Penal Code
Chapter 503. General Principles of Justification
503.010 Definitions for chapter.
The following definitions apply in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) “Deadly physical force” means force which is used with the purpose of causing
death or serious physical injury or which the defendant knows to create a substantial
risk of causing death or serious physical injury.
(2) “Dwelling” means a building or conveyance of any kind, including any attached
porch, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or
immobile, which has a roof over it, including a tent, and is designed to be occupied
by people lodging therein at night.
(3) “Imminent” means impending danger, and, in the context of domestic violence and
abuse as defined by KRS 403.720, belief that danger is imminent can be inferred
from a past pattern of repeated serious abuse.
(4) “Physical force” means force used upon or directed toward the body of another
person and includes confinement.
(5) “Residence” means a dwelling in which a person resides either temporarily or
permanently or is visiting as an invited guest.
(6) “Vehicle” means a conveyance of any kind, whether or not motorized, which is
designed to transport people or property